Free tote bag + magazine with your first order!
”We are incredibly proud of our Nordic heritage”
We talk to SWIMS co-founder Alex Eskeland about their brand new concept store at the best location in the Norwegian capital. Also more on the exclusive CDLP x Tom of Finland collab, the Scandinavian city that is chosen #1 in the world to visit, Acne Studios paying tribute to music legend Johnny Winter in a new capsule and the Finnish interior company turning PET bottles into a designer carpet.
”We are incredibly proud of our Nordic heritage”
Norwegian SWIMS started with reinventing galoshes in Oslo in 2006 and has now grown into a full range collection, showcased in the new concept store in Oslo.
– The brand is all about reinventing the classic with elegant, smart, weather-friendly solutions infused with utility, says co-founder Alex Eskeland. Our quintessential SWIMS customer is an active city-dwelling male, aged 25 to 44, driven to fulfill his personal and professional passions. He switches seamlessly from on- to offline, perpetually style-conscious and able to stand out in a crowd. He prefers versatility in his outfits to carry him from work to events, airport to pool, and weekdays to weekends. He’s global-minded and ready to travel when opportunity knocks. In sum, he lives the modern good life.
Tell us more about your first concept store in Oslo.
– Yes, we wanted to open the first one there to pay homage to our Nordic roots. Even though we are a global brand today, it was a natural choice to erect our first store in the city where it all started. We are incredibly proud of our Nordic heritage and are excited to bring a new kind of experience to the capital. The architects behind the store is London and Oslo based Haptic Architect. Not only are they a local partner with international sensibility and credentials, but more importantly they also share the same values and principles as we do – with focus on craftsmanship, elegance, and quality. Their intention is to design a space where the shoes and apparel share the spotlight, and to generate an atmosphere that makes the customers want to come back over and over again.
What would you like to highlight in the Fall/Winter 2018 collection?
– We return to the city with a full line of weather-friendly footwear, apparel, and bags to keep you stylish throughout your day, says Elkeland. We’re introducing the Motion Collection, made to take you from a business meeting to a casual gathering, dinner to catching a red-eye, and everywhere in between. It anchors the Fall/Winter 2018 line, bringing a modern sculpted feel to fresh footwear and outerwear silhouettes that measure up to the classics. The footwear collection comes alive with water-resistant nubuck leathers, high-rebound midsoles, and lightweight rubber outsoles, together providing the ultimate on-the-go, elegant look. The Motion Loafers and Oxfords, led by the Motion Balmoral Cap Toe, complement our classic loafer designs with weather-friendly materials and high-tech construction for maximum comfort and versatility, each a smart solution to keep you moving in style. Surprisingly light and flexible, the Motion Boot Collection — featuring the Wing Tip Boot — all boast waterproof construction, with technological features for comfort and style to effortlessly negotiate through fall and winter’s unpredictable weather. For outerwear, we add the new Motion Car Coat, which offers a slim-fitting, waterproof solution for extra style during the daily commute.
What are your future plans?
– To grow with our men’s offerings in footwear, apparel, and accessories. Also to connect with our consumers with optimized digital experiences, refining and deploying our brand identity, and to add new retail experiences.
Address: Prinsens Gate 25
CLDP x Tom of Finland
Finnish Touko Laaksonen, better known as Tom of Finland, is the creator of some of the most iconic, unrestrained, and readily recognizable imagery of contemporary gay culture. He is regarded as one of the most influential artists of the 20th century. Following the launch of a luxurious velvet swimwear collection, Swedish premium underwear CDLP now present their own Tom of Finland collab. Studying the work of the artist, they noted that the underwear – a fashion feature seen throughout his hedonistic liberation, and in effect designed by Tom of Finland – had never been directly conceived into reality. These very depictions provided the design inspiration behind a limited edition Jock Strap and Tanga Brief. Each style is accompanied by a portrait of the artist as a limited edition print, and presented in a custom box featuring some of Tom’s most iconic work.
– Tom’s influence on fashion and imprint on popular culture is undeniable. Designers that include Jean-Paul Gaultier, Tom Ford, and Helmut Lang have been influenced by his work. This collaboration marks how fantasy can come to life, says Durk Dehner, co-founder of Tom of Finland Foundation, which will benefit a part of the proceeds.
Here’s the world’s best city to visit
When the avid travellers at Lonely Planet asked themselves which cities are the best to visit right now, they decided that Copenhagen is #1. They state that “Denmark’s capital of cool is unstoppable”, continuing,
“New-Nordic Noma has gourmands swooning with its new digs, urban farm, and groundbreaking Scandinavian menus. The city’s booming street-food scene is smashing it on Refshaleøen, where a former shipyard is now rebooted food and craft market Reffen. Amusement park Tivoli Gardens is beating the winter blues with a new February season, while waste-management centre Amager Bakke has jaws dropping with its rooftop ski slope and hiking trails. The Danish Architecture Centre has moved into Ellen van Loon’s buzz-inducing cultural centre BLOX, while the anticipated mid-2019 completion of the Cityringen metro line means even easier cross-town adventures.”
Photography: Thomas Høyrup Christensen
Acne Studios pays tribute to music legend Johnny Winter
The late American singer-songwriter and blues musician Johnny Winter is best known for his hyperactive and innovative playing style, and also for producing several Grammy-winning albums for Muddy Waters. He is also a lifelong inspiration to Acne Studios’ Creative Director Jonny Johansson. Celebrating him and his work, they now launch the new menswear capsule collection The Johnny Winter Project.
– A part of the Acne Studios DNA has always been about exploring different creative branches in order to add a layer onto fashion, Johansson says. I like making isolated endeavours into something else, looking at my job from a different perspective, mixing creative disciplines. This project, which is a tribute to Johnny Winter, allows for another way of looking at fashion and design, it opens my mindset.
Turning PET bottles into a designer carpet
Looking at Finnish Finlayson’s new soft Siperia carpet it seems like it’s made of wool, but it’s not. Depending on the size, it’s made of 80 to 110 recycled PET bottles, collected in restaurants and shopping malls in India, and turned into a new hand-woven carpet.
– When developing new products, we’re always true to our values, asking ourselves: is it useful and does it make good to people? If the answer to those questions is yes, we’re happily moving on with good conscience, says CEO Jukka Kurtilla.