Helsinki’s new menswear haven and a full Nordic focus on new Copenhagen cocktail hot spot
Also more on a world-unique green gas after ten years of secret research, the new sunglass range on a high international level and the Scandinavian eyewear with a touch of self-irony.
Helsinki’s new menswear haven Menswear line FRENN combines straightforward honest Finnish design, relaxed sophistication and urban functionality with an edge. The core is modern craftsmanship and attention to detail, updated with fresh Scandinavian colours, rich textures, and prints.
– We believe in impeccable quality and formality with exceptional ease, comfort, and freedom along with clever details. Classy athleisure meets sophistication, says Co-founder Jarkko Kallio. With FRENN it is easy to relax, feel and look good, not having to think about what to wear to which occasion, work or play, responsibly hand-manufactured in Northern Europe from premium quality, ecologically sourced European fabrics.
Today, you open your new flagship store. Tell us about it.
– Yes, we’ve been dreaming of it since the beginning. Finally, it is possible to show FRENN as we have designed it in the beginning, including our Made to Measure service, at the lively Fredrikinkatu street in the heart of Helsinki. The concept store is a haven for men. There are also Helsinkian Kasper bags, Kämmen gloves. Norwegian Kaibosh sunglasses are also for sale first time in Finland. Little by little more items like skin products are added to the selection. The shop has a Scandinavian, calm and clean air to it where genuine materials like wood and linen, as well as classy furniture, add warmth to the space, designed by the leading company in its field, Pentagon Design.
What are the highlights from this SS18 collection?
– It was inspired by our numerous travels, to Paris, Tallinn, Seoul, and Tokyo, just to name a few. Helsinki is still home, though. Life is hectic anyway, clothes should make life easier everywhere, in every situation. What do we really need in changing weather conditions and changing aspects of life? Longlasting relaxed, comfortable yet stylish and dynamic pieces, in excellent quality, of course. Part of the collection is trans-seasonal. Those items are made of denim, high-quality washed cotton twill, soft and light merino wool with “Perfect T-shirt” and Oxford cotton shirts as cornerstones. The seasonal part of it focuses on linen and light cotton twill. Our “PETRI” coat has a new technical membrane layer to keep you dry when the spring storms take you by surprise. “PAAVO” parka is a key piece for a modern outdoor life. SAMPO trousers are simple, fun, and easy to wear.
What do you have coming?
– Our SS19 collection will be shown at Pitti Uomo and Paris Fashion Week in June, and we’ve just started a cooperation with London-based Black PR.
FRENN flagship store: Fredrikinkatu 24, Helsinki
A Nordic touch on new Copenhagen cocktail hot spot Kadeau is honoured with two Michelin stars and runs two restaurants, situated in Copenhagen and on the Danish island Bornholm. At the end of April, they opened the new cocktail bar 1408, named after the zip code and with 100% Nordic ingredients. For example, Daily Scandinavian reports, citrus might be replaced by fermented berries.
– We already make food that people travel from all over the world to taste. We will work together with a cocktail genius, Morten Damgaard, says Rasmus Kofoed, one of the three owners of Restaurant Kadeau.
On the menu, you will find a variety of cocktails such as a new interpretation of White Russian, called Pharisee, consisting of snaps, coffee liqueur, fermented honey, egg liqueur, and fried cream. This cocktail is served on a tray, so you can choose your own taste and sweetness.
A world-unique green gas after ten years of secret research As the world’s struggling to reduce the fossil fuels, one major solution might be developed in Umeå University in Sweden. Researcher Jyri-Pekka Mikkola and his team has spent the last decade developing a gas made mainly of forest residues, sawdust, waste and other materials, as long as it contains sugar. It’s now being patented as the first fossil-free fuels being equivalent to the nonrenewable ones. The company behind, Eco-Oil, expects it to be available within two years.
Scandinavian eyewear with a touch of self-irony As we hit May, Copenhagen-based menswear label NN07 today launch their first eyewear. They’ve worked closely together with the Dutch specialist Dick Moby, known for combining high quality with sustainability and previous collabs with the likes of Colette and Tenue de Nîmes. That’s also why the NN07 x Dick Moby sunglasses are made of bio-acetate, the case of recycled leather and the cleaning wipe of recycled plastic bottles.
Available from today in NN07 stores in Täby and Copenhagen and on nn07.com
New sunglass range on a high international level Swedish Oscar Magnuson’s eyewear, inspired by contemporary art, music, fashion, and design, has made a clear mark in leading opticians in Paris, Antwerpen, and Berlin. The new sunglass range includes six models in four different, monochrome colours and a balanced design. They’re handmade in Italy by bio-acetate and with the highest quality on the mineral glass lenses, and has gained great appreciation from one of the first retailers, none other than Italian Antonioli.